Paradisus: A Model of Sustainable Efficiency
The hotel, located in Playa del Carmen, is part of the Meliá Hotels International family and have been recognized by TripAdvisor for their best practices in sustainable operations
The program Eco Leaders of TripAdvisor has recognized Hotel Paradisus Playa del Carmen of the Meliá Hotels International chain in the Platinum category. The hotel meets the highest standards of their program at the international level.
The program Eco Leaders of TripAdvisor, the largest online travel website in the world, recognized hotels which operated with best practices in sustainable development internationally. In this context, Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla and La Esmeralda, belonging to the Meliá Hotels International family, were distinguished for a third consecutive year in the Eco Leaders Platinum category, the highest standard established for sustainability.
The general qualifications for the program at Paradisus Playa del Carmen, among others, include energy savings through ecological controls available in each room, the reuse or donation of waste (as leftover material), pavement designed to prevent flooding. These measures are in addition to the promise to support the community through buying personal hygiene products and other amenities through local providers, and using locally grown plants in installations. Another requirement is guaranteeing that they participate in initiatives to conserve local biodiversity.
TripAdvisor has developed these requirements with the assistance of national and international experts in ecology, like the LEED program of the Ecological Building Council (USA), the United Nations for the Environment, and ENERGY STAR of the Environmental Protection Agency (USA). With these standards, TripAdvisor has acquired a valuable tool to orient visitors who wish to stay at resorts that center their service around sustainable development.
Some of these initiatives through which Paradisus Playa del Carmen has achieved their Platinum category are:
- Possession of EarthCheck certification since 2014.
- Carbon emission control guarantees through a Carbon Neutral program.
- Creation of a sheet reusing program, creating awareness amongst guests and collaborators to emphasize the importance of reusing sheets, keeping their washing optional.
- Donating and reusing leftovers, from food to materials, supporting a local free range farm with organic leftovers which help feed animals.
- Using energy-saving light bulbs on the entire property.
- Measuring and periodically regulating energy usage (at least four times a year).
- Establishing measures to minimize the environmental impact on water and beaches with an osmosis plant in the hotel and a system to reuse hot and cold water.
With these measures to minimize the environmental impact and generate high-efficiency energy, Paradisus guarantees a luxurious and quality service to clients committed to preserving the environment.
Follow Paradisus Resorts on Twitter @Paradisus on Facebook/Paradisus.Resorts. For more information visit www.paradisus.com.
About Paradisus Resorts
Paradisus is a luxury all included hotel brand, which belongs to and is administrated by Meliá Hotels International (previously Sol Meliá Hotels & Resorts), one of the most successful hotel companies in the world. This expanding brand has two hotels in Punta Cana (The Dominican Republic), Paradisus Palma Real and Paradisus Punta Cana, and three in Mexico: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla (adults only), Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda (for all ages) and the new Paradisus Cancún.