It is never too late to start running.
There’s no denying that running is one of the most popular forms of exercise. Anyone who runs can easily tell you why they love it; it clears the mind, invigorates the body, burns calories and frequently leaves you with a feeling of empowerment. Running reduces the risk of certain cancers, keeps the heart healthy, increases bone density and protects against age-related bone loss, helping to prevent fractures and breaks. As if this wasn’t enough, running can also improve learning and memory.
- Get fitted for a good quality pair of running shoes. Many stores analyze your technique to recommend the best fit.
- If you are new to running, start slowly. Alternate brisk walking with gentle jogging to build up stamina. Take a break when you need to.
- Focus on taking long deep breaths, filling your lungs each time. You can also count your foot strike as you breathe. Find what works for you, but try ‘in-for-3 and out-for-2’ (alternating your exhale side helps to prevent stitch).
- Don’t stretch cold, warm up with a gentle jog or brisk walk before stretching out your hamstrings, hip flexors, calves, quads and glutes. Just a quick stretch is sufficient here, under 5 seconds per stretch or do dynamic stretches if you’re focused on high performance.
- Complete a full stretch when you finish your run to avoid stiffness. Spend at least 5 – 10 minutes stretching the whole body.
- Keep your weight forward so you can push off each foot. Your feet can’t push you forward effectively if they are ahead of your hips.
- Don’t strike the heel. Land the mid-foot softly, underneath your center of gravity.
- Relax your upper body and get into the rhythm of the run with your arms.
Where To Run In Playa
Jogging around the calles of Playa Centro can often be hazardous. With potholes, uneven paving and trees getting in your way, it can seem more like an obstacle course.
Playacar is a great choice for running with wide pathways and trees for shade. The sports grounds with running tracks offer an excellent running surface, if a limited view. You could play ‘dodge the tourist’ on 5th Avenue unless you are up very early, or perhaps try new 5th out towards Paradissus (watch out for dog poop, not everyone picks up here!).
Find Your Motivation
Download Runkeeper, load your favorite tunes or run with a friend!
Spa, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert and Founder of Spa Professional Mexico magazine