Let’s not waste any more time and discover some of those things we tell our visitors to do.
- Parque Aktun Chen. A bit out of the way and not as well–known, but worth a visit and very easy to find. Here you will find an underground river, a cenote, zip lines, hiking trails, a small zoo and a restaurant. Four km south of Akumal on Carretera 307. www.aktun-chen.com
- Centro Ecológico Akumal. If you have a little time on your hands and want to contribute to the conservation efforts of this group, roll up your sleeves and volunteer. They have various programs throughout the year that focus on monitoring the coral reef and seagrass, protection of sea turtles, environmental education programs and many more. www.ceakumal.org
- Puerto Morelos. Just a hop, skip, and a jump north of PDC (34km) but a few decades back in time with unique small restaurants, boutiques, shops and a multi–lingual bookstore. Small beach in town, but wider one just north of P.M.
- Puerto Aventuras. West of the highway, through the newly built arches, you will discover a truly local experience. Here you will be able to purchase your bicycle, buy an entire roasted chicken or spare ribs with sides, fill your basket with fresh veggies, all for 25 to 30 percent less than in Playa.
- Sian Ka’an Biosphere. Perfect for those interested in the ecologically protected environment of the region. Kayak through narrow canals, float in crystal clear cenotes, climb an ancient pyramid or try your hand at saltwater fly fishing. The beaches, lagoons, dunes, wetlands and tropical forests, harbor a multitude of animals, bird and plant life. www.visitsiankaan.com