They may be small but they pack a health punch that can’t be beat
While eating a particularly delicious guacamole one day, someone asked me, “Why did you move to Mexico?” “For the avocados!” I responded, only half joking. The abundance of fresh, ripe (and sometimes green so I can plan ahead), great value avocados is one of the many things I love about living in Mexico. Here are a few reasons (other than the delicious taste) to include avocado in your meals whenever possible:
- A rich source of good fats: Heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, most notable oleic acid (also found in olive oil). Eating avocado can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels and reduce inflammation.
- High in fiber: A regular sized avocado can provide around a third of your daily recommended amount of fiber, benefiting both weight loss and metabolic health.
- Loaded with nutrients: More potassium than bananas and a whole host of vitamins and minerals are packed into this amazing super fruit. Avocados are high in vitamins B5, B6, B9 (folate) C, E and K. Potassium supports healthy blood pressure levels and cell function throughout the body.
- High in Antioxidants: Avocados provide nutrients such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin, essential for healthy eyes and reducing the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Aid weight loss: Although high in fat, avocados promote a feeling of satiety. This, coupled with the high fiber and oleic acid content which also aid weight loss make avocado a perfect food to include whether trying to slim down or maintain a healthy weight.
Bonus Fact: The fats in avocado oil are quite resistant to heat-induced oxidation, making avocado oil one of the healthiest and safest choices for cooking. The neutral flavor also means it is suitable for almost any dish and won’t alter your flavors.
Including more avocado in your diet is easy: add it to salads, soups, smoothies and spreads, top off your tacos and mix into your ensalada mexicana. Gorge on guilt-free guacamole and appreciate the amazing avocado.
Spa, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert and Founder of Spa & Wellness Mexico Magazine