We tend to confuse the concept of fat and think that we have to reduce or eliminate its consumption, but Sara explains today about a specific good type of fat you can always use
We’re lucky enough to live in an area where good quality virgin coconut oil is produced locally. Numerous studies have shown the benefits of this amazing oil, extracted from one of the healthiest foods on the planet.
- Brain Function. Coconut oil is a great source of Medium-Chain-Fatty-Acids (MCFA’s). These MCFA’s are metabolized by the liver to create ketones, accessible energy to the brain, keeping brain function optimal.
- Heart Health. High in natural saturated fats that not only increase good cholesterol (HDL) in your body but also help to convert the LDL or “bad” cholesterol into good cholesterol. This helps promote a healthy heart and lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Reduces Inflammation. The antioxidants in coconut oil reduce inflammation and can ease arthritis and other pain caused by inflammation.
- Boost Immune System. Coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. It is known to reduce candida, fight bacteria, and create a hostile environment for viruses. Reduce sugar in your diet and supplement coconut oil to boost immunity and avoid illness.
- Multi-purpose skin treatment. An excellent cleanser, moisturizer and dry skin treatment, coconut oil can also treat skin disorders like eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis and minor burns.
- Dental Health. Oil pulling with coconut oil is a great way to cleanse the mouth of bacteria and heal periodontal disease. Swish the oil around for 20 minutes at least three times a week to remove bacteria, heal gums and keep teeth healthy.
- Weight Loss. It might seem counterintuitive that consuming an oil would contribute to fat loss, but it’s all due to the type of fat. Coconut oil improves thyroid function and assists the body in burning fat for energy. It’s been shown to help in shifting stubborn abdominal fat.
- Hormones. Coconut oil may be an excellent fat to consume during menopause, as it can have positives effects on estrogen levels.
Spa, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert, Spa Consultant and Founder of Spa & Wellness Mexico magazine