Don’t let the stress of travel get to you; follow these tips for a healthy journey every time
www.spawellnessmexico.comI have a love-hate relationship with travel. Of course, I love traveling and I am lucky enough to do a lot of it. The process of traveling however can sometimes be less than enjoyable because of crowded airports, long lines, time-zone adjustments and overnight flights. I write this at I set off on the second of three flights, heading down to Brazil, totaling 24 hours of travel, for a couple of days assessing a spa retreat (don’t feel too bad for me).
Having been in close quarters with a friend just coming down with a cold earlier today, staying healthy while flying is particularly on my mind this trip. There a few things you can do before and during flights to minimize the effects of travel and jet lag and prevent illness.
- Take oregano oil and/or garlic capsules before traveling to boost your immune system and help your body fight off any germs it comes into contact with.
- Take a multivitamin with vitamin C, so your body is not lacking anything essential for regeneration.
- Flying dries out the airways so a non-medicated nasal spray can help to prevent pain and occasional bleeding in the nose. Coming from the humidity in Playa, we’re certainly not accustomed to dry air.
- A throat spray can also help; I use a bee propolis spray with ginger to prevent infections taking hold, even if I’m a little run down. You can also wrap a scarf around your neck to help keep the throat warm.
- While it’s nice to enjoy a drink at the airport or on the plane, remember to keep hydrated with plenty of water. Avoiding sugary drinks also helps to keep your body healthy while traveling.
- Anywhere busy is subject to germs; touchscreens, tray tables, airport counters and communal pens are all things that spread microbes. Keep a small container of hand sanitizer and use it frequently to avoid picking up a bug from something.
- Aromatherapy is a great way to make your journey more pleasant. Use a relaxing blend when you want to sleep, an energizing blend to revive yourself when you arrive at your destination and a blend of eucalyptus, peppermint and tea tree essential oils to ward off colds and flu and keep your airways healthy. Apply to a tissue or pulse points on the wrists and take deep breaths.
Spa, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert, Spa Consultant and Founder of Spa & Wellness Mexico magazine