The process of “naturalization” or “citizenship” is optional for foreigners who demonstrate legal residence in Mexico for at least the last five consecutive years prior to the application date. Additionally, the following documents and actions are required to be considered for naturalization
- Original and copy of the completed application form.
- Original and two copies of resident card. This document must demonstrate consecutive residency in the country for the five years immediately prior to the date of the application. This document must be valid for at least six months after filing the application.
- Copy of Unique Code of Population Registry or Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP).
- Certified copy and two additional copies of a foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil registry office. It must be legalized by a Mexican diplomatic or consular representative or have an apostille from a competent authority. This document must be translated into Spanish by an authorized translator of the federal judicial entity in Mexico.
- Original and two copies of passport or valid travel identification.
- Letter under oath with two copies stating the number of exits and entries to and from the country for the two years preceding the filing of the application.
- Original and copy of Certificado de NO Antecedentes Penales (No Criminal Record Certificate).
- Proof that you have a basic conversational level of Spanish, that you know the history of the country and are integrated into the national culture. A questionnaire on general culture and history of Mexico will be administered for that purpose. For those age 60 or older, it is not required to take the test, but there is still an interview with an officer of the Secretary of Foreign Affairs, and the applicant will need to speak some Spanish.
- Two frontal passport size pictures with white background, no glasses, bareheaded
- Visit to Mexico City in person for fingerprints and questionnaire or interview.
- Proof of application fees payment ($4,460 MXN)
Processing time: Approximately six months.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]