The real estate attorneys at MEXLAW are experts when it comes to helping foreigners buy Mexican property
- Is it safe to buy real estate in Mexico?
Yes, but it is crucial to use a Mexican real estate attorney to ensure you receive the title on the property. The attorney performs a complete title search, including the chain of ownership to ensure this seller has the right to sell, and that no others are waiting to take possession of the property.
- Can I buy beachfront property in Mexico?
Yes, property within 50 kilometers of any coast, or 100 kilometers from the border is in the restricted zone; foreigners will use a fideicomiso.
- What is a fideicomiso?
A fideicomiso means the property is held in a bank trust with you as the beneficiary.
- Are there fees involved with a fideicomiso?
Yes, the fideicomiso is subject to a set-up fee and a nominal annual trust fee.
- How can I buy in a restricted zone without a fideicomiso?
Foreigners may set up a Mexican corporation, and buy through the corporation, Or become a Mexican citizen.
- Do I need a fideicomiso if the property is not in the restricted zone?
No, property outside the restricted zone can be purchased without a fideicomiso.
- Why do I need a real estate attorney?
MEXLAW real estate attorneys will guide you through the purchase process, from reviewing your offer to purchase to closing the deal, including a title guarantee. An attorney ensures there are no errors during the property registration.
- What function does a notario publico serve?
The notario publico is a government-appointed attorney responsible for the registering of deeds with the Public Registry Office. The notario does not act as your lawyer, in this case, they are representing the buyer, seller, and the state.
- Will I have a title on my property?
Yes, provided it was a legal purchase, and you have an attorney that guarantees a title on your investment.
- Can the Mexican Government take my property?
No, If your name is on the title at the Property Registration Office, no one can take your property.